[olug] Hauppauge PVR-250 & PVR-350

Richard Smith richs at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Dec 27 07:25:14 UTC 2003

Terry Bradshaw wrote:
> Hi, all-
>
> I'm thinking about the next phase of the MythTV box build, and I'm
> considering getting the TV card next so I can start playing with MythTV
> before my dedicated box is done.
>
> That said, has anyone used the Hauppauge cards for this yet?  The MythTV
> site says they can be used, that is not really my question.  I'm more
> interested in the differences between the PVR-250 and PVR-350 cards and
> whether they both can be fully tapped under Linux.  I *think* the
> difference is that the PVR-350 has TV outputs while the 250 does not.
> Is that correct?  If so, can the outputs be used under Linux, or am I
> better off just using a video card with these outputs?

You'd save some money by just getting the 250. The main difference with
the 350 is to give you hardware decoding. If you have a decent cpu, then
there's little point in having hardware decoding on the tv card since
the 250 still gives you hardware encoding. One other thing, I don't
believe the tvout on the 350 gives you the actual computer desktop, just
the actual video being played.