[olug] Unix environment on Windows, if anyone is interested

Bob McCoy bob at mccoy.net
Wed Dec 24 20:50:32 UTC 2003

The only problem is that MS Services for Unix doesn't have a X Windows
server.  So if you want to do X, Cygwin (or a commercial package) is a
better choice.

However, if you really do want to run under the Posix subsystem, use
SFU.  Cygwin runs on top of the Win32 subsystem.  SFU 2.0 and Interix
merged into SFU 3.0 and runs under its own susbsystem as a peer to
Win32, not on top of it.  You'll see POSIX.exe, PSXSS.exe, PSXRUN.exe,
nfsclient.exe, etc. (depending on the install options) in the Win32 Task
Manager process list.

It's interesting because if you issue a UNIX command in the cmd.exe
shell, it launches the tcsh shell under the Posix subsystem to complete
the command.

Bob