[olug] SuSE 9.0 problems w/X freezing SOLVED

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 05:13:33 UTC 2003

--- EmptyMM <emptymm at cox.net> wrote:

>  From the looks, if you're using "vesa" or "nv" then you're not using
> the driver that nvidia provides.  Although not opensource these drivers
> do work well and the installer does a pretty clean compile and install.
> The nvidia provided drivers will also give you the 3D acceleration as
> well as the benefit of full OpenGL support..  The only downside is being
> compiled against the kernel you'll need to rerun the installer after any
> kernel update.
>
> The install is as simple as
> * download http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
> * kill X (su -; telinit 3; ctrl + alt + backspace)
> * login as root and cd to the installer folder
> * run the installer "sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run"
> * edit XF86Config and change config to "nvidia"
> * restart X ("startx" or just reboot)

The only catch is with SuSE, you must run their X configuration tool (Sax2)
after installing NVidia's driver in order to enable 3D acceleration and
"complete" the NVidia driver install.  I was never able to run Sax2 without it
crashing on me (because it would default to 'nv' regardless of what was in
XF86Config), so I could never get the 3D acceleration enabled.  Running
Sax2-vesa did that trick.

It's funny too.  I ran this very box on the 'nv' driver (ie., w/o 3D
acceleration) for months on SuSE 8.2 w/o problems.

Eric Pierce