[olug] ssh and Cox

Ken emptymm at cox.net
Fri Dec 19 19:08:33 UTC 2003

Tim - DZ wrote:
> I use cox at home.  While they reserve the right to change IP's this seems
> to tend to no happen.
>
> I think the current theory is that as long as you've got something connected
> to the modem you'll keep the same ip.
>
> Personal Experience:
> Old residence in North O -
> same IP forever (more than a year) even through network reconfigurations,
> power outages, etc.  turn the modem back on, dhcp grabs the same address
>
> New Residence in West O -
> unplugged the modem to move it and some stuff to another room ~10-15 min -
> new ip.
> Guy came to work on a security system and unplugged my modem for about 30
> min - new ip.
> For the weeks in between I had the same ip, and since the last renew it has
> not changed.
>
> Of course using dyndns.org or something similar would help a lot of related
> headaches.

I'm a home user in west Millard.  Even though the IP is supposed to be
dynamic I've had the same since the last time I switched modems (over a
year ago).  In that time I've hooked up different PC's and routers to
the modem, shut off power for extended periods and replaced/rewired all
the RG cables in my house.  Every time it sees that modem mac address it
sends me the same ol' ip..  I'm using the Toshiba PCX2200..

Since were on the cox subject, has anyone else noticed the severe
restrictions cox has implemented on upload bandwidth since they
implemented their "network load balancing"?  I used to get an average of
150Kbps on upload and lately I can't do better than 30Kbps..  I know
they want to restrict running servers but this feels like dial up.  It
can take me up to 30 minutes to transfer large files to my remote server..
-Ken