[olug] FTP Servers....which is preferred?

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Thu Dec 18 19:11:54 UTC 2003

At Thu, 18 Dec 03, Unidentified Flying Banana Trent Melcher, said:
> Im looking into setting up an ftp server on a linux box I have, wanted some
> opinions on which one to use, currently I have been using wu-ftpd
> (distributed with Redhat), however I also know there is ProFTPD out there
> too, which is better (speed,configurablility,security)...or is there another
> one out there even better?

I've been using wu-ftpd for the past few years without any major issues.

If you're using it now, and it has all the features that you need, then
I'd suggest sticking with that.  It is a solid, well used, ftp daemon.
Only if you're looking for some feature that isn't available in wu-ftpd
would I suggest that you change.

If you do decide to switch, you've got a wealth of options available to
you.  After wu-ftpd, I've always rather liked lukemftpd, which is the
stock ftpd used in NetBSD (and the lukemftp ftp client is top notch, and
my default ftp client).  vsftpd, proftpd, and bsd-ftpd (from the OpenBSD
project) are all decent choices, to.