[olug] Subnet mask

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Tue Dec 16 14:53:11 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, December 16, 2003, at 07:13 AM, Bob McCoy wrote:
> The problem is that the answer is wrong.  The answer is wrong because
> the question was wrong.
>
> You will not have a subnet end with a 93 -- ever.  The reason?  As you
> look at the output, you'll notice that the last subnet only has two
> addresses, 92 & 93, which is invalid -- you end up with a network
> address and a broadcast address an no usable host addresses.

Sorry, Bob, but I disagree. You're projecting all of your "real world"
pragmatic expertise on the problem. I think Daniel was in the process
of defining a new IP specification which has nothing to do with the IP
specs we currently call "IPv4" and "IPv6". Certainly he was inventing
IPvDaniel in which he can do whatever the heck he wants and has a deep
need for my Optimum BitMask Thingy.

Don't try to squelch his creativity with "the facts". Fight the power
Daniel! Long live IPvDaniel!

> Otherwise, it's a very cool tool.  But you have to start with some
> valid
> assumptions about subnet boundaries.

Nope. I just demonstrated that I don't. -ducks-

Grin,