[olug] goal = FLOSS alternatives at UNO

CM Miller cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 13:27:14 UTC 2003

--- Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:00:02 -0800 (PST)
> CM Miller <cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> |Too bad they don't put any Linux boxes out in the
> |computer lab for the general students to
> 'discover.'
>
> Thats my whole point with this, and thats the
> goal...

So what steps have been taken towards this goal at
UNO?

Its hard to compete with this bastard when they show
up at your local college with free versions of Winjunk
XP and free copies of Winjunk Office 2003.  Metro
Community College is a prime example of this.

With RH coming up fast and strong, do they do anything
like this on college campuses?  I remember the RH bus
tour of late 2002, but if they were more active in
winning the hearts and minds of students, it would
really help.

Also some of the professors are pro-M$, one comes to
mind pretty quick.

> "professor, could you please resend me this document
> in a non-proprietary
> format (like rtf, html, txt, OOo xml...) that
> doesn't requires me to run
> windows and ms office (of which I choose to do
> neither out of my own moral
> conscious choice) -- are you aware of what you are
> assuming and asking of
> me when you send .doc and .ppt files?"  then the
> obligatory link as found
> in my signature...

What are your professor(s) response?

Are you dismissed as a radical that has a problem with
authority (Neo)?

> If we can just pump-up the 'awareness' factor just a
> bit, I'm sure there's
> people just like me 5 years ago -- looking for a
> ('free' as in free beer
> for the most part) quality alternative to M$
> Office... and now its so
> obvious, but do people even know about it?  Will
> then even/ever use it if
> it's not available on campus for use?
>
> Most people simply are not aware

More of the problem is being lazy.  The attitude is,
Winjunk works when I boot up. I don't want to have to
learn anything new, or change my way of thinking.

> -- I wouldn't
> expect them to understand
> if theyve only lived in an M$ world all their life
> -- (trapped in the
> matrix =)

There is no escape from the Winjunk matrix.

>and all they know is that computing and
> software = M$; they
> assume "doesn't everyone us M$ Office?"  I can't
> hold their ignorance
> against them, we may all have been in the same boat
> at one time -- but we
> can give them an alternative now, so many hackers
> have worked long and
> hard on this over the years to give people this
> freedom, I can't help but
> want to show people the 'choice' they finally have
> now.  It's the least I
> can do, all the 'hard' work has been done... for the
> most part.
> (the red or the blue pill?) =)

Take the Xanax, chase with some mineral water.

=====
No Bush in 2004