[olug] Network Performance

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Sat Dec 13 03:20:48 UTC 2003

> Which is a faster server FTP or HTTP?

My gut instinct says that FTP is faster, but nothing concrete...

> Can a 10 MB Network ever run at 10 MB or is 6-7 MB fantastic?

Due to the inherent nature of Ethernet and TCP/IP, 70% utilization on a
network with other traffic is about the best you will get.

[snip...]
> The system are P4 and have gigabit cards but the switches are limited to
> 10 MB so the NIC only boots at 10 MB.

If it is between two machines, can you use a crossover cable and go
Gig-to-Gig?  <drool...>

Also check that your network is running *full* duplex end-to-end.  Hard
code the NICs (use mii-tool under Linux), and hard-code the switch ports
if possible.  Rember, there are at least four ports to deal with (PC1,
Switch port 1, PC2, Switch port 2) plus any in-between if this is a
multi-switch network.

Dan