[olug] Network Performance

Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger at dtn.com
Fri Dec 12 23:10:39 UTC 2003

Typically, FTP should be faster than HTTP, it mostly depends on the
configuration.
There's a lot more you can do with most FTP servers to tweak it for your
specific needs.
I don't know that it would make a very noticeable difference, but it's
worth a shot.
NcFTPd is widely considered the fastest and most capable FTP server.

6-7 m-bits over a 10baseT FX connection is exceptionally good.

Are you using kickstart?  IF so, there are a few tricks you can do there
to speed it up.
For example, you can exclude some big packages like OO, but have them
installed in the background on first boot via a custom script (created in
%post of kickstart) which is run if RUN_FIRSTBOOT=YES in
/etc/sysconfig/firstboot.

"Mike Peterson" <mpeterson at mail.charlesfurniture.com>
Sent by: olug-bounces at olug.org
12/12/2003 04:18 PM
Please respond to
Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>

"olug list" <olug at olug.org>
cc

Subject
[olug] Network Performance

Which is a faster server FTP or HTTP?

Can a 10 MB Network ever run at 10 MB or is 6-7 MB fantastic?

I am trying to speed up deployment of Fedora over network installs.
At present I am using Fedora and Apache as the Server side and the install
takes over 1.5 hours.
The system are P4 and have gigabit cards but the switches are limited to
10
MB so the NIC only boots at 10 MB.
Would an anonymous FTP install be faster or is Apache the faster of the 2?

With doing an HTTP install the server system is idling and the network
throughput as per iptraf reaches close to 7000 k/sec.
I adjusted the httpd.conf to try to get the best performance.
I shutdown any non-essential services.
Maybe I just need to hope for 100 MB switches in the future.
Just looking for fastest speed possible with current and future hardware.