[olug] SuSE 9.0 problems w/X freezing

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 02:26:02 UTC 2003

Thanks Dan for the tips.  I believe I tried everything you suggested.

I popped out the firewire card (ethernet is on board), but X still crashed
hard.

I even tried deleting the XF86Config file to let Sax2 start fresh.  No change.
X still crashes hard.

I've changed IRQ values around in BIOS before, but this particular box's BIOS
doesn't let me change the values for these particular devices/slots.

I also tried setpci -s 02:08.8 INTERRUPT_LINE=11  (11 was what SuSE 8.2 put
eth0 at).  That went in quietly.  I also did setpci -s 02:08.8 INTERRUPT_PIN=11
which went in quietly too.  I reassigned the firewire card as SuSE8.2 had it as
well, but I saw no change when doing 'cat /proc/interrupts

And X still crashes.

I just can't figure this one out.  I've used SuSE for a few years now, but I'm
about ready to give up.  However, I did a massive 4 Gig network install of 9.0
(took ~10 hrs. on cable) and hate to give up just yet.

Ugh.