[olug] Sharing root priv, tracking what other root does

Tim Bornholtz tim at bornholtz.com
Thu Dec 11 04:33:03 UTC 2003

netsaint at cox.net wrote:

>I’m looking for a way to track what another root user does on a sensitive Linux server that I have had exclusive control of.

sudo is your friend! Find out about it at http://www.sudo.ws/

Does this other person *really* need full root access or are there some
(or even a lot) of commands that they must execute as root. With sudo
you have a configuration file that lists each command they can execute
(with wildcards if you desire). Everything is also logged! The log
contains the real userid, the effective user, the command, tty, and
timestamp.

-Tim