[olug] PostgreSQL 7.4's autovacuuming

thehaas at binary.net thehaas at binary.net
Wed Dec 10 16:49:13 UTC 2003

I know there are other PostgreSQL users out there, so I thought I would
share.

One of the features of PostgreSQL 7.4 is auto-vacumming -- that's right,
no more scheduled vacuums. It's really just a program in the contrib
directory that monitors that database and has thresholds for
INSERTS/DELETES, etc.  When a table reaches that threshold, it runs vacuum
on it.  It seems to use little resources, but it works well.

You need the following in your postgresql.conf to get it working:
	stats_start_collector = true
	stats_row_level = true

BTW -- I just upgraded from PostgreSQL 7.2.x to 7.4 -- the performance
increase is *amazing*.  My stress-test application runs in half the time
with 7.4.

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net