[olug] OT: laptop power supply

K.J. Kirwan kjk_elec at ix.netcom.com
Wed Dec 10 10:10:34 UTC 2003

Ryan,

If the battery is *dead* dead, it might not be
recoverable with the normal charger.

You said earlier it was a Pavilion XF 125, so
I browsed HPs website a little for you.

HP says your battery is 3.6V/cell and 8 cells.
They also say your charger is 19V, 3.3A.
So it's possible that your battery is made as
series-parallel (14.4V), rather than straight
series (28.8V).  (If true, this might say that
this battery could be prone to self-discharge.)
All this was to ask:

Can you find at least 12 or 13V on your battery
after charging, unplugging, removing from laptop?
(You might also find 24 to 26 volts if I
guessed wrong about the battery construction.)

Just wondering.
K.J.