[olug] SuSE 9.0 problems w/X freezing

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Tue Dec 9 03:36:39 UTC 2003

Eric Pierce wrote:
> 8.2 had:
>  10:          2          XT-PIC  ohci1394, Intel 82801BA-ICH2
>  11:         30          XT-PIC  eth0
>
> 9.0 had:
>   5:         25          XT-PIC  eth0, ohci1394
>
> I'm not sure what this ohci business is.  Some kind of USB controller?

FireWire.

With 9.0 your ethernet is sharing an interrupt with your firewire
controller.

> lspci output from both 8.2 & 9.0 were the same.
>
> So do I need to 'hardcode' one of the conflicting devices in BIOS?

You can try.  Keep in mind that the operating system can also override
the BIOS settings.  If you're using ACPI (which SuSE 9 uses, dunno about
earlier releases) the BIOS settings become irrelevant.

 > Or is there a config file I can noodle around in?

You'll need to figure out the appropriate setpci commands and put them
in /etc/init.d/boot.local.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us