[olug] SuSE 9.0 problems w/X freezing

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 01:46:19 UTC 2003

Alright, I've found out a few goodies.

Here's discrepency in /proc/pci between 8.2 and 9.0:
8.2 had:
  Bus  2, device   8, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller
(rev 3).
      IRQ 11.
  Bus  2, device   9, function  0:
    FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 IEEE-1394 Controller
(Link) (rev 0).
      IRQ 10

9.0 had:
  Bus  2, device   8, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM/CA/CAM Ethernet Controller
(rev 3).
      IRQ 5.
  Bus  2, device   9, function  0:
    FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB12LV26 IEEE-1394 Controller
(Link) (rev 0).
      IRQ 5.
So it looks like 2 devices, which originally were assigned separate IRQs (11 &
10), are both grabbing IRQ 5 under 9.0.
Conflict, non?

Maybe it's easier to see in /proc/interrupts:
8.2 had:
 10:          2          XT-PIC  ohci1394, Intel 82801BA-ICH2
 11:         30          XT-PIC  eth0

9.0 had:
  5:         25          XT-PIC  eth0, ohci1394

I'm not sure what this ohci business is.  Some kind of USB controller?

lspci output from both 8.2 & 9.0 were the same.

So do I need to 'hardcode' one of the conflicting devices in BIOS?  Or is there
a config file I can noodle around in?

Anyway, thanks for reading all this stuff.
Fun.. fun.. FUN!

Eric Pierce