[olug] SuSE 9.0/knoppix problems w/X freezing

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Dec 8 06:31:22 UTC 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 09:29:09 -0600 (CST)
"Jay Swackhamer" <Jay at RebootTheUser.com> wrote:

|Once everything is setup correctly, you should not have lockups with
|nVidia cards.........
|
|some causes of lockups are having 'dri' loaded in XF86Config in the
|module section, or not loading freetype, or having framebuffer enabled,
|or having shared irq's with the video/another device.........

I'll have to check this out on my laptop too, running an older Knoppix
3.2+unstable, KDE/X tends to 'freeze/lock' up on me every once in awhile.
Sometimes with the konqueror filemanager open, so I disabled file
previews.  I try ctrl+alt+f1 and it 'may' eventually switch me over after
about a minute or so, same delay for a ctrl+alt+backspace if I'm lucky,
and then my gdm restarts.

Also, I think I have something messed up in KDE, my kdm is fubard as when
it comes up (the login window), there is no text and the window is as
wide/wider than my screen!  So I'm using an ugly gdm login screen now.

I notice windows xp home (dual boot) locks up on me every so often too, so
I'm like ()*&#$(*&@#$ I don't know whats wrong... maybe memory or cpu???
I'll play around more when I get some time.

any ideas? esp what I may be missing in kde for the windows to not work
right, the kdm login and kppp windows are bad, all else fine as far as I
know.

whats the normal CPU time on XFree86? it seems to be a hog, I've seen it
at 86% and higher sometimes.

--
 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru