[olug] Re: [Linux-desktop] system installation suite - sysimager, sysinstaller...

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat Dec 6 17:27:21 UTC 2003

It still sounds a little fuzzy even to me, how you keep system images on a
server, and just sync the 'updates' to the clients...

"Once you have deployed the initial image to your client systems, you can
update/upgrade the client systems by syncing them to an updated image on
the image server. Only the modified parts of files are pulled to the
client for a fast, efficient, and accurate mass update/upgrade."
http://www.systemimager.org/doc/html/c195.html#AEN197

Chapter 3 goes into discussing how this whole system works out... you have
a base/control/"golden" client pc, install systemimager client on it and
have a good speed system with disk space running the systemimager server
software.  The server runs 'getimage' and grabs the current image from the
"golden" pc, which can then be sent out to other clients.
http://www.systemimager.org/doc/html/c331.html

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 12:32:59 -0600
HEATH J MAIWALD <hmaiwald at mail.unomaha.edu> wrote:

|Does anyone out there know of a solution to be able to remotely
|add/remove specific programs for Linux clients?  I took a look at the
|sites Brian gave, but it appears that you have to have the software built
|inside the image, I would like to play around with one that just
|distributes/removes software without the need of having it pre-configured
|in the image.
|

|Brian Wiese <bwiese at cotse.com>
|Sent by: linux-desktop-admin at nido2.unomaha.edu
|12/04/2003 11:21 AM
|
|Just came across this, might be useful to look at.
|
|System Installation Suite is a collection of open source software
|projects designed to work together to automate the installation and
|configuration of networked workstations. These software projects fit
|around a modular design framework designed to be cross-platform,
|operating system independant, and scalable from a single workstation to a
|thousand node collection of workstations. For more information please
|read the SIS Application Stack page.
|
|http://sisuite.org/
|
|http://www.systemimager.org was what brought me to this, also check out
|the systeminstaller and related products, appers to be a good suite of
|tools.

|--