[olug] good terminal emulator needed

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Fri Dec 5 06:16:24 UTC 2003

Tim & Alethea Larson wrote:

> Thanks for all the suggestions.  My first attempt was SecureCRT, but it
> doesn't seem to do a plain telnet session, and the server doesn't do
> SSH, so it's out.  Then PuTTY, which allowed me to put in arbitrary
> terminal types, but didn't actually emulate those types.  The app must
> do some funky control characters for positioning its quasi-graphical
> menus that requires wyse60 emulation.  I haven't found anything free
> that does this well yet.

SecureCRT most certainly does do plain telnet, but you need to make you
you selected the module when you installed SecureCRT (it is selected by
default).

However, you mention that you need Wyse60 emulation.  That is something
SecureCRT most certainly does NOT do.

A quick google gets me to OmniCom Technologies - they offer a terminal
emulation program called AlphaCom that does Linux, ANSI, IBM3151, Wyse
50/50+, Wyse 60, SCO ANSI, VT52, VT100, VT102, VT220 terminal types over
telnet, ssh and RS-232 serial connections.

Note that I've never used this product, and hadn't even heard of 'em
until 5 minutes ago, so YMMV.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us