[olug] good terminal emulator needed

Tim & Alethea Larson thelarsons3 at cox.net
Fri Dec 5 03:01:04 UTC 2003

Sean Kelly wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 06:06:06PM -0600, OBrien, Timothy  (Omaha Linux Users Group - OLUG) wrote:
>

>><quote who="Terry">
>>

>>>putty?
>>>http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>>>

>>I second putty.
>>

>PuTTY is okay, but I find SecureCRT to be much nicer when it comes to
>dealing with sessions and so forth. PuTTY just feels like a "cheaper"
>version of SecureCRT. However, SecureCRT costs money. PuTTY is a pretty
>good alternative, and the best free one I've found for Windows.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  My first attempt was SecureCRT, but it
doesn't seem to do a plain telnet session, and the server doesn't do
SSH, so it's out.  Then PuTTY, which allowed me to put in arbitrary
terminal types, but didn't actually emulate those types.  The app must
do some funky control characters for positioning its quasi-graphical
menus that requires wyse60 emulation.  I haven't found anything free
that does this well yet.

Tim