[olug] Keyboard/Mouse Failure

Daniel Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Dec 4 03:47:27 UTC 2003

Joe Catanzaro wrote:
> I'm at a total loss, so I'm turning to you guys for this one. I bought a
> new motherboard to upgrade a PC I'm working on here at home. When I power
> it up, the keyboard and mouse don't work.
[snip...]
> electricity. It's the only thing different from the service center. Anyone
> have a clue what might be the problem. I've been working on this for about
> a week and it's been constant. Not maybe. Not every-once-in-a-while. But
> perfect at the service center, null at my house.

Similar same thing happened to me this past weekend.  Finaly tracked it
down to a flakey powersupply.

Basically when I was finally at my wits end, I took a short breather and
took *everything* out of the case and placed them on the table.  For "step
1" I disconnected everything from the MB that wasn't critical to booting.
I.E. Power supply, motherboard, CPU, *one* stick of ram (using integrated
video). NOTHING ELSE, NOT EVEN THE CASE!!! :)  For each of these pieces,
try to make sure they are known good pieces and hooked up properly.  If
the one stick of RAM you have is flakey, it will only hurt
troubleshooting.

If it doesn't boot up, then try replacing pieces one at a time until you
find the broke piece.

If it does boot, then add *ONE* new component.  In my case, I plugged in
the floppy drive so I could boot the Memtest86 program. (See my earlier
e-mail or http://www.memtest86.com).

Keep adding one piece at a time until you flesh out the bad pieces/parts,
or you get to a completely working system.

Good luck!

Dan