[olug] KVM for Sun & PC

IrishMASMS at olug.org IrishMASMS at olug.org
Mon Dec 1 20:10:38 UTC 2003

> The reason for a 'special' KVM for the suns, is that they had a
> different monitor connector than the standard 15-pin, or run with a
> locked 72hz(or some other) frequency.
>
> But if they are 'servers' then you should just run a serial connection
> to the console port. Do they have a console port? Then you could use a
> console concentrator like those from Arula(web based+SSL) or
> WTI/others(telnet accessible)

The web site for Arula [http://www.arula.com/] goes to Raritan.com now; to
the Dominion x16/x32 product. A quick look at WTI also had serial
concentrators, but the smallest they had was also a 16x.

The serial option might not be an option; I am not familiar enough with
the needs of the application we will be running nor the vendor access
requirements. Heck, the work/political access requirements for that
matter.

What kills the serial option is also having x86 based PC servers (running
NT/W2k/BSD) in the same racks. It makes more sense to get one KVM solution
for both PS2 & USB. The Sun USB supposedly works with the KVM's out there,
our limited funding situation (read: none, so find a solution that costs
the least), and the compatability with multiple hardware.

Thank you for the suggestions though!