[olug] DVD writing/authoring in Linux

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Mon Dec 1 16:20:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:53:00 -0600
Jordan Wilberding <diginux at diginux.net> wrote:

|I know k3b writes to dvd, but it doesn't seem to support making movies
|from dvd, with the exception of eMovix like I said in my email. I am
|wondering if there is something that will allow you author movies on dvd
|in Linux without having to do everything yourself with mkisof and
|dvdrecord on the command line.

Still not entirely sure what you mean... do you want to copy a full length
DVD movie onto a DVD-R disk like the other thread about xcopy xpress (make
a backup), edit and make your own dvd movies from a
camcorder/ieee1394/other video source*, or copy a dvd movie into another
format (svcd, divx, xvid..) in which case can usually be burnt to cdrom.

For 'editing' movies I can just think of cinelerra, and they have links to
some other things on their site.  I don't know whether this supports
authoring the video into a DVD disc/mpeg layout for burning.
http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

I haven't done any dvd authoring myself, but I've seen some of the stuff
out there and backup my own dvds to other formats (svcd, divx, xvid..)

hth
-
 Brian Wiese | bwiese(at)cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru