[olug] headless PC operation

Sean Edwards cybersean3000 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 27 17:40:22 UTC 2003

It is pretty cool and not that hard.  One way is to
edit /etc/inittab to not spawn any tty* (local
terminals accessible via CTRL+F*), and only spawn
terminal sessions to active serial ports.  Here is an
example of an inittab entry from the "TEXT TERMINAL
HOWTO":

S1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L 19200 ttyS1 vt102

To save on memory and increase performance when
running Linux as a desktop (X, GNOME, BlackBox, etc.),
I usually edit the inittab to spawn only 2 or 3 local
terminals.

-=Sean Edwards=-
cybersean3000 at yahoo.com