[olug] Upgrade HD ?

Jay Swackhamer Jay at RebootTheUser.com
Mon Aug 4 19:41:15 UTC 2003

I would
1. Boot off one a distro CD
2. partition the new drive the way that you would like it
  i.e.
   250MB   /boot
   10Gig   /
    5gig   /home
    1gig   swap
   1000000g  /opt

then mount the new filesystems
/mnt/new_sys/
/mnt/new_sys/boot
/mnt/new_sys/home

Then clone the partitions....

for i in / /home /boot /opt
do
  LVMOUNT1=$i
  LVMOUNT2=/mnt/new_sys/$i
  cd ${LV_MOUNT1}; find . -xdev -depth -print | cpio -pdm ${LV_MOUNT2}
done

or tar each filesystem from the old drive to a 'backup'
partition on the new drive, then untar each one to it's new
partition.....