[olug] Upgrade HD ?

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Mon Aug 4 19:38:01 UTC 2003

I've never played with parted, but hard drive to hard drive
copying/replacement isn't too hard.

When I do it, I usually use the following steps.

1.)  Install new blank hard drive as secondary hard drive and make sure
linux sees it.

2.)  Partition new hard drive as desired with fdisk or sfdisk.  Format
partitions as necessary/desired with mke2fs and mkswap.

3.)  copy files from original partitions to new partitions with cp.
Make sure to use '-r -x' flags so cp will recurse but won't leave the
filesystem it is operating in.

4.)  Use grub or lilo to install the boot loader as appropriate to the
new hard drive if the new hard drive is going to be a boot device.

5.)  Remove original hard drive and hook up new hard drive to have the
same SCSI or IDE ID as the original drive.

I can give additional advice on any of the steps if they are confusing.

Nick Walter