[olug] Unix Tip: OUTPUT A FILE IN REVERSE

Kenton Brede xyf at nixnotes.org
Sun Apr 27 14:34:42 UTC 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:48:17AM -0500, William E. Kempf wrote:

> Thom Harrison said:

<snip>
> 3) Why in the world is this a seperate program?  (If there is a need for
> this sort of thing, shouldn't it be a command line switch on cat?)
<snip>

There is a short book that may help answer this question for you.  It is
called, "The Unix Philosophy" by Mike Gancarz.  The answer would fall
under number one and two of the "nine major tenets":

1. small is beautiful
2. make each program do one thing well

This site outlines the book -
http://hebb.cis.uoguelph.ca/~dave/27320/new/unixphil.html
kent

--
"I am always doing that which I can not do,
   in order that I may learn how to do it." --Pablo Picasso