[olug] Tom's Root Boot Disk and installing from a cd

Don E. Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Mon Apr 21 17:06:19 UTC 2003

Hello,

The original subject of this post was about how to mount a cd under
Tom's. I figured that out so now I'm wondering if any one has any
helpful hints about installing from a cd under Toms. Here's the
situation.

I want to install debian on a computer. The bios on that computer simply
does not allow a boot from the CDROM, I've checked the BIOS settings and
I've also tried a different cdrom drive (thanks to Adamh) It's an Award
Modular BIOS v4.51pg and I checked their Website. I downloaded a program
that sent the current BIOS information into their tech support. Turns
out they have an upgrade that would take care of the problem -- for
$60.95!! I'm NOT inclined to pay that if I can get around it.

I've examined the disk from debian and found a README that says I should
be able to install from the cd without having it booted.but it doesn't
say any more than that. If anyone has a clue on this I'd appreciate
hearing it.

TIA

Don K.