[olug] rh9 apt-get repository

Daniel G. Linder dlinder at iprevolution.com
Fri Apr 4 14:37:22 UTC 2003

CM Miller [mailto:cmmiller1973 at yahoo.com] asks:
> According to the traffic on the Redhat mailing list
> that I read, there is alot of RH 9.0 iso swappin'
> goin' on with the p2p, BitTorrent
> http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/index.html
>
> If you install it, report back to the list on how it
> is.

I installed it the evening that it was announced on Slashdot.  At home
via my wireless router to Cox at Home, I started at about 20KByte/sec,
ramped up to >100KByte/sec, and after about 15 minutes dropped to
5KByte/sec.  I let it run a bit more, but the wireless AP I have has
some issues with sustained file transfers...  When I got into work the
next day, I restarted it and got the ISO's down (again via 11Mb
wireless) at 250-350KByte/sec.  Not too shabby.

The install was really easy.  The hardest part for me was setting up the
/etc/mailcap *correctly*, but then that was mostly self-inflicted (I
tried to "optimize" right out of the box and really foo-bar'ed the
setup...).

Now, if someone could make a "standard" interface to this and other P2P
networks, then we could point ftp/rpm/apt-get at it and use the Internet
as it could be used... :)

Dan