[olug] apt-get with RedHat basics

Ryan O'Rourke ryano at ch-gifts.com
Tue Apr 1 16:30:16 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 09:58, Brian Wiese wrote:

> You have glibc, kernel, and ppp set to HOLD.  Below it's saying you have a
> conflict with kernel and ppp, so I might try removing one or both of them
> from the hold line - perhaps one needs to be upgraded.

Thanks, Brian. I had tried something similar to what you suggest already
as you can see from the previous message.

In addition, this time I went through and removed each package I didn't
want upgraded from the HOLD list one by one and tried the 'apt-get'
commands again. Each time I get similar error messages as before as well
as a slightly different error that says "...The following packages have
unmet dependencies:
  kernel#2.4.18-14: Conflicts: ppp (<= 2.3.15)
E: Unable to correct dependencies"

I even went through and added each package apt wants to remove to the
HOLD list and tried all the 'apt-get' commands again. I get similar
results as in the past.

I don't think apt likes the pptp-kernel I installed for VPN access to my
office. What I don't understand is why I just can't tell apt not to
upgrade the kernel and ppp since they seem to be causing the most
problems. Shouldn't apt just ignore those "broken" packages and
dependencies if they are in the HOLD list?

-- Ryan