[olug] server life span

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Sep 27 14:40:55 UTC 2002

A SAN would definitely make server hardware upgrades cheaper, but the
initial investment is significant.  An absolute bare-bones SAN appliance
will run you $50K easily.

I've spent the last 6 months looking at SAN's and I like Xiotech's
Magnitude the best so far.  It has some limitations, but I'm willing to
live with them.  EMC makes good stuff but it's expensive, and IMO it's
geared towards high-availability and large enterprises.

Bill
*********************reply separator********************8

                      roger schmeits
                      <schmeits at clarksonc        To:       olug at olug.org
                      ollege.edu>                cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [olug] server life span
                      olug-admin at olug.org

                      09/26/2002 02:56 PM
                      Please respond to
                      olug

Greetings:
Gotta' bitch..  We bought a Proliant 3000 4 years. Since then we have
added several disks and an additional cpu. Currently it have about 50G
of storage space. Main function is a file server.

this machine has served us well. But at the end of this year it comes
off the hardware support contact and now must look for a new bigger
faster server.

I hate retiring servers.

It seems silly to spend several thousand dollars and retire it 4 years
later.  Is it me or what??  Why cant a person add another blade of some
sort and keep the machine another 4 years of support. Is there a better
way of upgrading servers than this???

Might be time to look at a SAN.

done with rant..

Roger