[olug] Try Gentoo?

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Thu Sep 12 12:50:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 20:54, Steve Busby wrote:
> OLUG Users,
>
> I've been lurking since Jun, but for whatever reason other commitments have
> prevented me from attending the monthly OLUG Meeting.  Which really sucks
> because I only work in UNMC which is just a couple of blocks from Clarkson
> College.
>
> Anyway, I heard the last meeting was informative and I was wondering whether
> any other members have taken the Gentoo plunge?

I've taken the plunge myself, on my only machine (brave, yeah, I know .
. .)

The initial install was fairly involved (though the online docs are very
good).  After that, it's pretty easy to update, and the system is stable
after the fact.  I've had to take some time to tweak the USE variable,
and I've changed my directory where portage downloads and compiles, but
all those can be done with checking out the config file.

The switch to gcc3.2 has been a pain, mostly because some apps require
3.2, some only want 3.1 (though that should be changing) and others
don't work right with anything but 2.95 (mozilla plugins, for one
example).  Overall, though I would recommend it to someone who has time
for a little tinkering and willing to learn a lot about Linux (because
with Gentoo -- you will . . .)

-- mikeh

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
GnuPG key: http://www.binary.net/thehaas/mikeh.gpg

"What good is having someone who can walk on water if you don't follow
in his footsteps?"