[olug] The Joys of WindoMaker

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Fri Sep 6 13:35:12 UTC 2002

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 10:01:02PM -0500, Quinn Coldiron wrote:
> Not to start a desktop war, but actually, my favorite is Windowmaker,
> then XFCE is a close second.  Something about Windowmaker just keeps me
> coming back.  It's clean, fast and elegant.  I installed Ximian to get
> the sweet icons and pixmaps.  A bit of a pig just for icons I guess :-)

I just recently went back to WindowMaker after about a year in Ximian/GNOME
world.  It's a great setup (for me, at least) and is not a hog in memory
like GNOME is.  Just I still have GNOME libs installed to run Evolution and a
few other GNOME apps that I like.

But, since I last used WindowMaker, they seemed to have taken away the
WMPrefs app.  What is now the "official" WM configuration program
(besides "vi on the config files =)?

> Now that I have the /usr/share/pixmaps directory and subs burned to a
> CDROM I don't need it anymore...

That's a really, really good idea . . . .

-- mikeh