[olug] Phoenix

William E. Kempf wekempf at cox.net
Fri Oct 25 14:54:42 UTC 2002

Nick Walter said:
> Well, I'd like to tell you that Mozilla is a replacement for IE, but
> that isn't quite true.  It's an upgrade.
>
> I switched to Mozilla a few months ago to check it out, and now it's my
> only browser on my Win98 and Red Hat systems.  Pop-up blocking, good
> privacy controls, image blocking, it's all there.  And believe me,
> tabbed browsing is like a wheel mouse.  When you first see it, it looks
> funny.  Two weeks later, you wonder how you ever got along without it.
>
> In terms of functionality, all the plugins and javascript support needed
> are available for Mozilla.  Also, Mozilla can generally run any Netscape
> 6/7 plugins without a hitch, so that expands the available plugin pool
> considerably also.
>
> The only downside I've ever seen to Mozilla relates to fonts, especially
> in a linux system that doesn't have a good set of fonts installed.  Some
> sloppy web page designers target their pages at the set of IE fonts (and
> apparently only test with IE) so when Mozilla attempts to render some
> pages without those fonts available things look a touch off.  That's a
> minor issue and doesn't happen very often though.

Any recommendations on how to go about getting a good set of fonts
installed?  Font repositories, HOWTO articles, ways to use existing fonts
on a Win32 system, etc?

The font support has been one of my biggest complaints about Linux in
general.  Even with KDE 3.0, which was supposed to have improved things
(and it did), fonts still often look terrible and are hard to read.  I've
recently had to use OpenOffice to do a presentation (which will, in the
end, be saved as a PowerPoint file), and the font rendering there is
SOOOOO bad that my productivity is WAAAAY down.  Unfortunately, I don't
have PowerPoint with my Office XP on the Win32 machine, so I'm stuck doing
it this way.

--
William E. Kempf