[olug] Phoenix

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Fri Oct 25 14:21:08 UTC 2002

Well, I'd like to tell you that Mozilla is a replacement for IE, but
that isn't quite true.  It's an upgrade.

I switched to Mozilla a few months ago to check it out, and now it's my
only browser on my Win98 and Red Hat systems.  Pop-up blocking, good
privacy controls, image blocking, it's all there.  And believe me,
tabbed browsing is like a wheel mouse.  When you first see it, it looks
funny.  Two weeks later, you wonder how you ever got along without it.

In terms of functionality, all the plugins and javascript support needed
are available for Mozilla.  Also, Mozilla can generally run any Netscape
6/7 plugins without a hitch, so that expands the available plugin pool
considerably also.

The only downside I've ever seen to Mozilla relates to fonts, especially
in a linux system that doesn't have a good set of fonts installed.  Some
sloppy web page designers target their pages at the set of IE fonts (and
apparently only test with IE) so when Mozilla attempts to render some
pages without those fonts available things look a touch off.  That's a
minor issue and doesn't happen very often though.

If you haven't tried Mozilla yet, I recommend downloading it.

Nick Walter