[olug] TurboPrint and LPR/cups

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 22 22:38:57 UTC 2002

I got my UMAX Astra 2200 scanner working.  Now I need help with the
Canon S820 printer.

I want to use Turboprint per the suggestion of somebody else because it
says it supports the Canon S820 to max resolution.  It costs 30 bucks
but that it worth it to be able to do a full switch to Linux.  The
problem is that there is more than one way to config a printer in
Linux.

LPRng
Cups
LPR
Ghostscript converter stuff.

I don't understand how these work together.  TurboPrint can use either
cups or LPRxx.  I set up cups to use /dev/usb/lp0 but I have to somehow
enable USB on the printer by sending a certain sequence of stuff which
is automatically handled by sending something through something which
goes through ghostscript which isn't handled by cups because it uses
PPD files.  Obviously that is where I am confused.

Has anybody used Cups/LPRxx with or without TurboPrint that could
answer the following questions to help clear this up in my head?

How does ghostscript interact with LPRxx?
How does ghostscript interact with Cups?
What uses PPD files and why?
Can LPRxx and Cups use eachother?
Does one work better than the other?

If I can get this printer to work, then I will have a completely
working system in Linux.

I will list all the stuff in my computer so that it can all be
addressed as working in Linux (with Proprietary help).

Canon S820 Printer (maybe?)
UMAX Astra 2200 (USB/scsi)
USB Zip 100
USB DLink C300 (White Case)
PNY USB Compact Flash reader
Belkin 4 port USB hub
Plextor 8/4/32 CDRW
Firewire Video camera
32MB PCI TNT2 Video Card

That is all the stuff that works in Linux for me using Debian Unstable.

Later
Eric