[olug] COMSAT?

William E. Kempf williamkempf at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 21 19:48:00 UTC 2002

Anyone know anything about Comsat/Biff?  In particular, I'd like to have a
"new mail" notification program running on Win32 boxes that could notify me
of new mail on my Linux mailbox with out having to do an expensive poll.  I
found a package that claims to do this, NotifyMail
(http://www.notifymail.com/nmdocumentation/index.htm), but can't get it to
work.  With "biff y" executed I get notifications on the linux box (though
the output is basically empty, probably because comsat/biff doesn't
understand Maildir formats?), but nothing from NotifyMail.  If there was
some documentation for Comsat/Biff that described the protocol I'd even be
willing to write my own notification program, but I'm finding it difficult
to find useful information about this anywhere.

Or is there a better way to achieve what I want?

Bill Kempf