[olug] SquirrelMail?

William E. Kempf williamkempf at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 18 21:32:58 UTC 2002

From: "Jordan Wilberding" <diginux at diginux.net>
> > Anyone have any experience with SquirrelMail, or with any other WebMail
> > software they'd recommend?
>
> I have, I'll try to help.

Thanks.

> > I'm having troubles getting SquirrelMail to work.  After getting it set
up
> > and configured, I attempt to login.  The login page displays, but after
> > providing the user/passwd pair I get an error that says "Error opening
> > ../data/default_pref".  The following page is the only one I can find
with
> > a Google search on the subject (at least that's in English):
> > http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/DataPermission.  I've insured that
> > /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs has perms of 700 and that
> > /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/default_pref has perms of 775 and the apache
> > owner/group, which is what they say to do for 1.2.5.
>
> From the rest of your e-mail it sounds like you are using mandrake.

Yep.  Mandrake 9.0.

> I run mandrake(8.0) and my webserver root is /var/www/html
> so therefore your default_pref file has to be within there somewhere.

Then the question would be where ;).

$ find / -name default_pref
/var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/default_pref

It's not in the /var/www/html/webmail directory.

OK, let me try and create the dir and copy the default_pref there.

Surprise, surprise, surprise... that worked!  No where in any documentation
was this step found.  What a pain!  But thanks a lot for the help.  The only
problem now is that it's complaining about three not being a Mailder.Sent,
but I believe I know how to fix that one.  All that's left after that is to
find a way to redirect from a more friendly URL outside of my LAN, but that
shouldn't be too tough compared to the rest of this.

Again, thanks a lot.

Bill Kempf

P.S.  Do you think I should have linked /var/www/html/webmail/data to
/var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs instead of copying?