[olug] Too Cool!

Quinn Coldiron qcoldir at nmhs.org
Fri Oct 18 14:44:41 UTC 2002

Yep.  I'm glad to see the integration.  AIX has some great features that
IBM is integrating into Linux (kernel and GNU).  What I'm seeing is AIX
becoming more compatible with other unix's via Linux and GNU software.
It used to be a nightmare getting OS software to compile on AIX.  Now,
even on 4.3.3 I'm able to get a lot of stuff to compile and work.  AIX
5.1 and up make it even easier.

A good thing I'm seeing from IBM is the systems that they use as
controllers for their products (like the SAN "shark" and robotic tape
drives, etc) are being converted to Linux.  Our current head unit to the
IBM SAN is a Linux box.  The internals are still RS/6000's.

Cool stuff.  IBM really has the Linux bug.

Quinn

--

You don't "install" web pages; you simply visit them.
Why should applications be any different?

Quinn P. Coldiron
Cerner Technical Coordinator
Nebraska Methodist Hospital
402-354-1619