[olug] Too Cool!

Quinn Coldiron qcoldir at nmhs.org
Fri Oct 18 01:23:36 UTC 2002

That was me.

It was while I was the IT Dept. Mgr for the University Press.  I
converted the entire system to Linux (replacing NT and Novell).  It was
a great job, except they couldn't pay as well as the private sector.  I
originally wrote it for the international university press association's
annual IT meeting where I presented on the topic.  I then put it online
and shared it on RedHat's listserv where it exploded.  I even was
approached by McMillan and O'Reilly to convert it into a 500 page book.
It was even reposted along with a short interview I did in CFO magazine.

Poor judgment and planning on my part screwed up the book deal.  Oh
well...live and learn.  It has earned me many speaking engagements and I
met a great many people in Linux (including many RedHat executives who
had read the paper).  I was even invited to speak at Comdex but my new
work schedule with the hospital didn't allow for that.

Those were the days :-)  Now I'm growing Linux at the hospital...  It's
mainly AIX here, though.  We also have a new manager that I think is on
MS's pay-role.  I think the guy's Bill Gate's long lost cousin.  Makes
for fun discussion sessions with our director, though :-)

Quinn

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 20:10, Carl Lundstedt wrote:

> THAT WAS YOU?  Hlug linked to that story for a long time, knowing only
> that the author was from UNL.  I don't know if we still have that linked
> to somewhere or not....hmmmmm
>
> Carl Lundstedt
> UNL

You don't "install" web pages; you simply visit them.
Why should applications be any different?

Quinn P. Coldiron
Cerner Technical Coordinator
Nebraska Methodist Hospital
402-354-1619