[olug] samba upgrade

roger schmeits schmeits at clarksoncollege.edu
Thu Oct 17 13:39:33 UTC 2002

With the latest release of samba would like to move from version 2.21a-4
to 2.2.6. How does one move from a rpm based samba to tar.gz? In other
words how do I upgrade from samba-2.2.1a-4.rpm to samba-2.2.6.tar.gz.

Do I remove samba : rpm -e samba?

And what do I do with the other samba rpm packages:
samba-client-2.2.1a-4 & samba-common-2.2.1a-4? Are they included with
the tar package?

Can I assume I remove the rpm packages (all of them) and compile from
source? And how do I install a new version of samba when the next
release comes out?? with a source package you can't do a rpm -e.

sorry for all the questions just trying to get a handle on it.

Using RH7.2. Thanks.

Roger