[olug] Hard drive.

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Wed Oct 16 18:53:14 UTC 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 10:48:51 -0500
Jonathan Warren <thechunk at cox.net> wrote:

|I have a reiserfs partition that I started seeing strange behaviour with.
 I created some files durning an install lastnight that I can't delete.
ls will shwo the files but ls -l will give me a permission denied on the
files.  I booted to single user mood remounted / as read only and ran
reiserfsck against it.  It gets to a point in the check and informs me it
can't read the disk.  Now I am wondering what utilities exist that anyone
has used to diagnose failing harddrives under linux.  Thanks in advance.
|-Jon

I'm sorry that I don't know of any hard drive test software for GNU/Linux,
but even finding one that supports is probably tough.  When I was looking
for info to do the same stuff with reiser, I honestly didn't find
anything.  So now I use ext3. =)

The only things I know/use are diagnostics tools on bootable floppies.

IBM has their Drive Fitness Test, but I don't know if it would have a
problem with reiser or not?  Imagine it just tests the physical drive.
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm

Maxtor has Powermax now, was maxdiag.  Windoze to create floppy.
http://maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm  (site slow?)

nothing here (yet): http://ltp.sourceforge.net/tooltable.php

maybe your reiserfsck was correct?  backup and zero drive?

peace

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart