[olug] lpd error messages

Don E. Kauffman dkauffman at tconl.com
Sat Oct 12 16:26:43 UTC 2002

Roger et al.,

I've tried a number of different things to resolve the issue. I'm still
having a problem

OK  here's what my Hosts file looked like before I got dhcp.
10.200.6.223    kauffman2443.tconl.com  kauffman2443    eth0
192.168.3.1     dkauffman       dkauffman        eth1
192.168.3.2     dekauff dekauff
127.0.0.1       localhost

Here whot I've tried since they switched me to dhcp.
first try (and the one I started gettiting bad_hostname on)

       kauffman2443.tconl.com  kauffman2443    eth0
192.168.3.1     dkauffman       dkauffman        eth1
192.168.3.2     dekauff dekauff
127.0.0.1       localhost

For obvious reasons that one didn't work That was before I wrote for help on
this issue.

Since then, I've tried this configuration.

10.90.0.0       dkauffman.kauffman2443.tconl.com        dkauffman       eth0
192.168.3.1     kauffman2443.tconl.com  kauffman2443    eth1
192.168.3.2     dekauff.kauffman2443.tconl.com  dekauff
127.0.0.1       localhost

Here, I switched the host name from the external card to the internal card
and used the external network ip ifor eth0 That seems to work a little better
(I don't get bad hostame errors) but it also wants to bring up eth1 with dhcp
when the internal netwoork is static, I can edit ifcfg-eth1, remove the
BOOT=DHCP, do ifup ifcfg-eth1 and it works just fine except that I then have
to redo the kernel routing table. All of this work, is stuff  I don't think
is necessary if I knew how (or what) to plug in as the ip for eth0!!

What I am ready  to try now, is a variation  on what Roger suggested.

10.90.0.0       dkauffman.kauffman2443.tconl.com        dkauffman       eth0
192.168.3.1     kauffman2443.tconl.com  kauffman2443    eth1
192.168.3.2     dekauff.kauffman2443.tconl.com  dekauff
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain           localhost

If that works,, I will try switching the hosname from eth1 back to eth0. I'm
very uncomfortable using the network IP 1o identify eth0 so if someone could
give me a hint on that I would be more than happy to follow up on it! I've
looked in all the books I have on Linux and on Networking. Nothing told me
what IP I needed to use for eth0 when I have dhcp.

Thank you all!

Don Kauffman