[olug] Disabling firewalls in linux 2.4.18

Brian Wiese bwiese at cotse.com
Sat Oct 12 15:51:46 UTC 2002

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 05:07:55 -0700 (PDT)
ERIC MAHLAKO <lericom at yahoo.com> wrote:

|Hi
|
|I'm having a problem in disabling firewalls in linux
|2.4.18 so that I can access all the host in the
|network using ssh command. My private network looks
|like :
|
|                     <=======> Host2
|Host1 <====> Router
|                     <=======> Host3
|
|All the host to the router box are connected via
|crossover cable. I can ping any host from any host via
|router. I have used the command "setup" to change the
|firewall configuration to "no firewall" but it does
|not help in all the hosts together with the router.

turned off firewall on Host1, Host2, and Host3?

|Host 1,2,3 can ssh Router but when I try to ssh any of
|the host from the router I get the following error:
|ssh:connect to address xx.xx.xx.xx port 22: no route
|to host or Connection time out.

These are 4 Red Hat boxes?

If the router can ping any host, but can't ssh to them...
- that is odd
apparently your routes are set up right, I'd just verify that you actually
have ssh working and running on each Host on the default port.  from each
host, "ssh localhost 22" and "cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config | grep Port"

veryify you can connect to them by another means, if they are running
webservers... "telnet (localhost/ip) 80 (enter)... HEAD / HTTP1.1
(enter)(enter)" or run some nmap scans?

  Brian Wiese | bwiese at cotse.com | aim: unolinuxguru
  GnuPG/PGP key 0x1E820A73 | "FREEDOM!" - Braveheart