[olug] Migrate NT to Linux

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Oct 12 02:46:38 UTC 2002

roger schmeits wrote:
 >> I'm guessing that replacing a PDC will invalidate the domain
 >> membership of all your NT servers, and you will need to run around
 >> and re-join them all to your newly created domain.

Yes.

Be aware that replacing the PDC can have far-reaching effects on your
NT4 network if you don't do it right.  And the only way to do it "right"
is to put NT4 in as the PDC, restoring your SAM database from backup.

 > When you bring a Linux box in a PDC does this also kick the BDC out
 > also?

Yes.

Once you start using Samba as a PDC you CANNOT use NT4 as a BDC;
depending on how Samba is configured to handle user authentication you
may not even be able to make Samba be a BDC.

Like I said in another email, try waiting for Samba 3.0.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us