[olug] Migrate NT to Linux

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Oct 12 02:45:58 UTC 2002

Dennis Isbrandtsen wrote:

> 	I want to migrate my company's NT network to a Linux network.  I am
> a Linux newbie but I have successfully setup a Linux RedHat 8.0 server and
> joined the NT domain. (it is only a fileserver right now)

Yes, the easy part :)

> 	My first question is when I setup a Linux PDC will the NT servers
> currently on the network recognize it as a PDC/WINS/DHCP server?

DHCP won't require any special setup; if the DHCP server software is
correctly configured it will *just* *work*.  Ditto for WINS, especially
if you tell the DHCP server to give out the WINS server IP number.

The PDC is a different case; if you have any BDCs be prepared to scrap
them; they can't talk to Samba AT ALL in their capacity as a BDC.  If
you're lucky what'll change with the as-yet unreleased Samba 3.0.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us