[olug] Migrate NT to Linux

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Fri Oct 11 14:33:01 UTC 2002

Ahhh, a worthy project

I'd recommend using the linux documentation project for some good
howtos.  For your general scope of work, you'll need to read up on Samba
and Winbind, the programs that will make this happen.  I haven't talked
my boss into replacing the PDC with a linux server yet (though I keep
trying) but I have set up multiple linux servers with winbind to allow
people to use NT domain accounts to logon to linux and it worked
flawlessly.

http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html

There's a link to the samba howto collection, which addresses everything
you should need.

I'm guessing that replacing a PDC will invalidate the domain membership
of all your NT servers, and you will need to run around and re-join them
all to your newly created domain.

Nick Walter