[olug] Cox and Web Servers

David Walker linux_user at grax.com
Thu Oct 10 16:41:04 UTC 2002

Scanning IP blocks for port 80 takes a very long time and eats much less
bandwidth if all Port 80s are blocked.

Scanning a blocked port involves sending 1 to 5 packets and waiting to see if
there is a response.  This waiting is costly.

Scanning a bunch of machines for open or closed (i.e. no server is running)
ports goes very quick and generates more traffic because as soon as the worm
finds an open port 80 it tries to upload itself (traffic) and if successful
the worm starts generating it's own traffic (tons more traffic).

"Blocking the ports does not prevent people from running web servers,
which means that blocking ports has done nothing (or at least very little)
in the way of protecting Cox from such situations."
If people are running their web servers on whatever random port they selected
then a lot has happened in the way of protecting users and Cox.  A worm
cannot spread too well if it has to scan 65536 ports per machine to find a
web server instead of just the one port.