[olug] Cox and Web Servers

William E. Kempf williamkempf at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 9 16:23:41 UTC 2002

From: "William Haisch" <whaisch4 at cox.net>
To: <olug at olug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: [olug] Cox and Web Servers

> Did you install / use Cox's El-Crapo software (the stuff on the CD)?

Do they have software for Linux?  In any event, no, of course I'm not using
their software.  My momma din' raise no dummies.

> didn't, no need to install that stupid little program or go through their
> proxy servers.  I have my computers connect to my netgear wireless router
> and on through the cable modem.  The router is setup as a DHCP client,
which
> takes care of everything.  I unlock whatever ports I want on the router
and
> so far I have not had any problems....of course, I don't run servers all
the
> time, either....

Cox has (even when they were @Home) gone through periods of blocking and not
blocking various ports.  Currently they ARE blocking port 80, as well as a
few others.  You can read what ports they are blocking by going to
http://www.expressresponse.com/cgi-bin/cox_isp/displayfaq.cgi?search_input=N
ULL.

Bill Kempf