[olug] dvd set-up woes

Eric Pierce eric_olug at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 01:42:31 UTC 2002

Hello,

I'm having some difficultly getting my DVD-ROM working
and I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any tips.
 I just installed the newest SuSE (8.1) on my desktop
(first Linux to break-in this particular computer).
It appears that the DVD is being detected and set-up
properly (via boot-up kernel messages), but I'm unable
to mount dvds (or cds) let alone watch them (I've only
tried mplayer so far).
Here's a snip of /var/log/boot.msg

<4>    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xb800-0xb807, BIOS settings:
hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
<4>    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xb808-0xb80f, BIOS settings:
hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
<4>hda: Maxtor 4D080H4, ATA DISK drive
<4>hdb: WDC AC36400L, ATA DISK drive
<4>hdc: CDD4851 CD-R/RW, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
<4>hdd: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116 ATAPI Model 012, ATAPI
CD/DVD-ROM drive
<4>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
<4>ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
---SNIP---
<4>hdc: no flushcache support
<4>hdd: no flushcache support
<6>scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI
devices
<4>  Vendor: PHILIPS   Model: CDD4851 CD-R/RW   Rev:
C3.7
<4>  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI
SCSI revision: 02
<4>  Vendor: PIONEER   Model: DVD-ROM DVD-116   Rev:
1.21
<4>  Type:   CD-ROM

The CD-R is set to hdc and works fine, however, the
DVD at hdd doesn't mount dvds, cds, neither can I
'eject' the drive.

$ eject /media/dvd
eject: unable to eject, last error: Input/output error

Here's fstab:
/dev/dvd             /media/dvd           auto
ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

And the device link
$ ls -l /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 2002-09-24
20:52 /dev/dvd -> /dev/hdd

And when I attempt to mount:
$ mount /media/dvd/
/dev/dvd: Input/output error
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and
none was specified

mplayer poops out like this (Note: dvd not mounted -
doesn't need to be, right?):
$ mplayer -dvd 1 -dvd-device /dev/dvd
MPlayer 0.90pre8-3.2 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see
DOCS)

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Willamette (Family: 8, Stepping:
10)
CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1
SSE2: 1
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE
SSE2

Reading /home/hp/.mplayer/codecs.conf: 38 audio & 106
video codecs
Font /home/hp/.mplayer/font/font.desc loaded
successfully! (206 chars)
Using Linux hardware RTC timing (1024Hz)
Input config file /home/hp/.mplayer/input.conf parsed
: 50 binds
Setting up lirc support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Connection refused
Failed opening lirc support!
You won't be able to use your remote control

Playing DVD title 1
Reading disc structure, please wait...
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Can't open VMG info!

Exiting... (End of file)

This dvd doesn't even spin when attempting to run
mplayer, so I'm guessing it's not the viewer's problem
(since I can't mount/eject dvds in the first place).
I'm really stumped as it appears (to me anyway) that
the dvd is being set up properly by the kernel.  I
browsed the DVD-HOWTO, but it seems a tad out-of-date.
 If anyone can steer me in the right direction, I'd be
much obliged.

Thanks for reading all this!
Eric Pierce

Ps. Nice chatting w/the few of you at the last meeting
(my second).  I look forward to seeing you all at next
months lug.