[olug] Cox and Web Servers

Jacobs, Robert A. RAJACOBS at northropgrumman.com
Tue Oct 8 21:23:20 UTC 2002

Tell Apache to listen on a port other than "80" for connections.

When I first signed up with COX, I went round and round with them about
this very issue.  I spoke to a number of individuals above the "phone techs"
and was met with stony silence.

I offered to let them put a traffic shaper on my account and they still
would
not budge.  It was a hopeless endeavor.  I wanted to work with them; they
wanted
to milk me for more money.

In the end, I told Apache to listen on an obscure port and, if they knew,
they
never bothered me.